Today, there is a shamefully large gap between the rich and the poor in America. Working families should not have to live in poverty in a country of our wealth. Congresswoman Velázquez is focused on fostering principled investments that will eliminate the technological divide that exists and improve the quality of life for everyone in our communities.
The Congresswoman strongly supports efforts to establish a living wage, strengthening one of America’s most important anti-poverty measures—the Earned Income Tax Credit—and providing workers with the leverage they need to negotiate fair wages, health insurance and safe workplace conditions. These programs will help to improve the lives of all laborers in the 12th District and their families.
The federal government must join together with local communities to reclaim and restore environmentally-damaged areas so that residents can enjoy the use of safe and vibrant locations throughout their communities. She recognizes that revitalizing our neighborhoods is a key component to improving the local economy, and is committed to making New York’s 12th Congressional District a better place for all its residents.
- Rep. Velázquez Hails Passage of Economic Recovery Bill
- Rep. Velázquez Calls on U.S. Department of Labor to Help New York Preserve Jobs and Train Workers During Financial Crisis
- Congresswoman Velázquez Announces New Legislation to Provide Additional EITC Benefit for Overtime Workers
- Congresswoman Velázquez Responds to President Bush’s FY2009 Budget Proposal
- Congresswoman Velázquez Announces Free Assistance Available to Low-Income Workers Filing for Earned Income Tax Credit