Congresswoman Velázquez is dedicated to ensuring that New York City residents have housing options that are both affordable and accessible. Renters and home owners in the 12th Congressional District face critical housing needs, with most paying more than half their income in rent or mortgage payments and many living in unacceptable conditions.
As New York City’s senior Member on the U.S. House Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity, the Congresswoman is a strong advocate for public housing residents and has taken steps to preserve and revitalize government-owned housing properties. To address the shortage of affordable housing, she supports efforts that combine housing market-driven solutions, federal support, and state and local initiatives.
Knowing that good ideas are abundant in her community, NYC housing experts and grassroots housing activists are consulted to help formulate solutions for the city’s unique housing problems. Comprehensive efforts are needed today to ensure that the nation’s housing market regains its footing, and the American dream of homeownership remains an achievable goal.
- Velázquez Seeks Foreclosure Protections for New York City Tenants
- U.S. House Passes Legislation to Stem Tide of Foreclosures
- Velázquez on Administration’s Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan
- Vital Resources for NYC Public Housing Included in Economic Recovery Plan
- Congresswoman Velázquez Recognized for Work to Preserve Affordable Housing
- Congresswoman Velazquez’s Legal Counseling Provisions Included in Comprehensive Housing Bill
- Congresswoman Velázquez Brings More Legal Help to Homeowners Affected by the Mortgage Foreclosure Crisis
- Congresswoman Velázquez Brings Expert Advice to New Yorkers on Housing and Mortgage Issues
- Congresswoman Velázquez: “Bush Administration Initiative Doesn’t Go Far Enough”
- Congresswoman Velázquez Brings Housing and Finance Experts Together to Formulate Solutions for City’s Mortgage Foreclosure Crisis
- Velázquez Applauds Community Effort to Pass Housing Bill
- Velázquez Addresses Affordable Housing Preservation