Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Congresswoman Nydia Velazquez

Representing the 7th District of New York


Congresswoman Velazquez Announces Free Assistance Available to Low-Income Workers Filing for Earned Income Tax Credit

Congresswoman Velázquez Announces Free Assistance Available to Low-Income Workers Filing for Earned Income Tax Credit
February 4, 2008
Press Release

WASHINGTON, DC – As local working families begin to prepare their tax returns, Congresswoman Nydia M. Velázquez (D-N.Y.) today announced that free tax filing assistance is available for residents in New York’s 12th Congressional District who qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit. 

“The Earned Income Tax Credit is one of our most important anti-poverty tools. At a time when the rise in costs of living has left many in our city cash-strapped, the Earned Income Tax Credit can help them make ends meet,” Congresswoman Velázquez said.  “Applying for the EITC can be complex and confusing for the average person.  I encourage those who need assistance to visit one of the free tax preparation sites where community volunteers can help.” 

District 12 residents seeking free assistance applying for the Earned Income Tax Credit should dial 311 to find the location of the nearest Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site.  In areas where 311 is not available, they may dial 1-800-906-9887.

Services are also available at the IRS-Brooklyn office, which will be operating on extended hours in February:

Internal Revenue Service, Brooklyn office

625 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201 

Phone: (718) 488-2068

Regular Hours:     Monday – Friday; 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Extended Hours:   Saturdays, February 9 and 16; 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Those planning to visit one of the tax preparation sites should make sure to bring the following items:

  • Proof of identification;
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration;
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return;
  • Current year’s tax package if you received one;
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers;
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099);
  • A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available;
  • Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit;
  • Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number);
  • Information for other income;
  • Information for deductions/credits; and
  • To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.