In the News: Velázquez on Hurricane Maria Recovery
Congresswoman Velázquez and Senator Elizabeth Warren sent a letter to the Financial Oversight and Management Board for Puerto Rico calling for a complete write-off of the Island's debt. Read the letter, here.
In midst of tax reform, the Congresswoman is asking Republican leaders to include tax provisions that will help rebuild Puerto Rico. You can find the letter to House Speaker Ryan and Senate Majority Leader McConnell, here.
Velázquez's leads House Democrats in a press conference demanding that Congress pass a supplemental relief package for Hurricane Maria victims, WATCH here.
Watch the Congresswoman send a message to President Trump about the history of the United States and Puerto Rico here. You can also catch her speech as featured on CNN, NBC, Washington Post and Buzzfeed.
The Congresswoman held a press conference with Leader Nancy Pelosi and National Nurses United to draw attention to the growing public health crisis and lackluster federal response following Maria. Watch the full event here. You can also read about it in NBC News.
To read about Velázquez's request for a one year waiver of the Jones Act, click here and here. For her additional request after the 10-day waiver expires, click here.
In addition, the Congresswoman has expressed her support for the following measures:
- Waiving federal matching requirements for recovery programs until both Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands reach economic stability. To read more, click here.
- Increasing the number of chainsaw teams under the USDA Forest Service in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands to help clear debris from the storm. More can be found here.
- Providing students who resettle in New York after the hurricane with in-state college tuition. Read more, here.
- A clear outline to OMB Director Mick Mulvaney highlighting the necessary provisions for a comprehensive emergency disaster supplemental. To read, click here.
- A letter to Congressional Appropriators urging steps for the disaster supplemental after Hurricane Maria. See more, here.
- An increase in federal funding to assist local educational agencies and institutions affected by the disaster. To read, click here.
- Rep. Cummings' request for White House documents related to the federal hurricane response in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. To read the letter, click here.
Increasing USDA flexibility and food sustainability for hurricane victims. To read the letter to the Agriculture Secretary, click here.
Urging the Department of Education under Secretary DeVos to do more to protect student loan borrowers as they work to rebuild their lives after disaster. Read more, here.
Writing to the Leadership of the House Ways and Means Committee, urging the Committee to take up bipartisan relief legislation. Read the letter, here.
Working alongside Rep. Thompson to author a letter demanding oversight of the official death toll count. Read their letter here.